Well said Calvin.

You are correct. My comments are out of concern for the developers on IBMi.

Every foray I've had into the IBMi native open source stuff has been fraught with something not done or sort of half-done.

XMLSERVICE right now is at least stable from what I can tell, but can't wait to hear what's coming.

And of course tell us early so we can help test it 😊

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

message: 1
date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 23:55:52 -0400
from: "Calvin Buckley" <calvin@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [IBMiOSS] XMLSERVICE, RPGLE & Java error

I agree that the database access story for PASE isn't as clear as it should be; perhaps no fault of IBM's though. However, this does affect programmers for both runtimes and runtime consumers - we're still not sure what's the best method for working with DB2. I think Richard's comments weren't out of spite, but of concern.

As you say, libdb400/QSQCLI is... flaky, and from working with it, I definitely agree with what you've been saying for a while about it.
Having Python et al versions to compare with helps, but tripping up on bugs that kill the QSQCLI service program and the entire PASE process with it due to an ILE pointer snafu can be quite annoying.

XMLSERVICE I haven't brushed up with, but as you also said, seems to be unsustainable. Hopefully Liam and perhaps a community around ILEusion can make it work better for both remote and local cases.
Worst case, there's always writing bespoke microservices per task.

It's good to know this will change for the better in the future.
Unfortunately, we have to work with what we have in the meantime.
Hopefully the community will come together for the stuff that they can work on themselves. (like ILEusion) We don't have influence in system components though like QSQCLI, and you mentioned legacy software is dependent on the presence of bugs, so changes there are an unknown.