On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1- You can hook up your own shell (i.e. Terminal on Mac).

PuTTY on Windows for me. I'm not used to setting up SSH keys (I've
gotten by for most of my computing life with simple
username-and-password setups), so I had to wrestle with it for awhile.
But it was well worth it.

2 - You can hook up an alternate editor that communicates over SSH/SFTP.

Yeah, the options are quite numerous here, once you have laid down the
key-based SSH infrastructure. If your preferred editor doesn't have
its own built-in SFTP capability or plug-in, you can always fall back
to using WinSCP as your remote-file-browser-and-local-editor-launcher
(which is what I'm doing now).

I also
found a NodePad++ article(n2.2) for those on Windows that like that tool.

A lot of people do like it, but I'm not one of them. I think it's a
mostly good tool, and it's easily better than plain Notepad, but it
doesn't do one basic thing that I require from any programmer's
editor: automatically indent an additional level when appropriate
(such as following an 'if' or 'for').

I know Liam Allan uses NotePad++ to edit his RPG in the IFS (and I thought
I heard he created an RPG syntax highlighter for NotePadd++; that kid
probably never sleeps :-)

He's kind of a freak. Maybe his generation's Scott Klement.

3 - Working on the native side has been a hot item. [...]
I don't yet have db2util in Litmis Spaces (maybe
in two weeks?). And the "Poor Mans Compile RPG from PASE" currently only
has a Node.js implementation (hoping for a Python code donation pull
request).

In principle, this should be easy. But as yet I haven't been able to
get anything working just with itoolkit in Python. I mean, I don't
fully understand the itoolkit examples, I don't fully understand the
itoolkit interface, and in most cases, even if an itoolkit example
were to work, I wouldn't be able to check the effect on the QSYS.LIB
side. (I need to use itoolkit to check whether itoolkit is working.
Hmm....)

John Y.