I taught some courses at a local community college on an
AS/400 contributed by IBM as part of the PIE program, until
replaced by a laid-off ex-IBMer. Due to some decisions
resulting from personal politics relating to the one that
headed the (vocational educ) department there, these courses
fizzled. They also had some *really* sophisticated IBM
CAD-CAM systems, just sitting there! Never used! For years!
Sheesh!

On the other hand, another one where I taught gave me free
reign (without PIE), we went gangbusters successful, and
they began using them for the accredited classes.

- Alan

| Real briefly:  As Booth mentioned, IBM has put some
resources into the PIE
| (Partner's in Education) program.  Dunno how much, or if
they were
| sufficient or whether the cost was still just too high for
the colleges and
| universities.

| However, I don't agree with what Booth says about "Very
few students will
| even look at it.  It doesn't do games.  All those kids are
thinking one
| thought:  'I'm going to write the next great game and get
stinking rich.'"
| Sure, some kids (and adults, as well) have that attitude
and are eagerly