Alistair Rooney wrote:

> --
> Brad,
>
> That's kind of like saying I don't like RPG/400 because I had a CPF4101
> today!
>
> It's not the tools it's the workman. Servlets are cool! Fast, Easy to
> code and efficient.

I finally went to a site and looked at examples of servlets and
jsp.

Looks like Microsft's ASP scripting in a C++ dialect. JSPs are
like server-side VBSCRIPT (which used to be slow but is
apparently much faster in 2000. I wouldn't use them in a
commercial product, although we use them for quick and dirty
changes and proof of concept internally within our company.)

Servelts are like VB6 compiled DLLs, only a lot more complicated
to write. We write our web stuff in VB6, as DLLs using the
request  and response objects. Our chief software engineer
figured out how to use personal web server and the VB6 design
environment together, so he can put debug breakpoints in the VB
code, hit the web page and pop up the breakpoint, single step,
display intermediate results, etc. Fastest web development. And
the code is compiled objects, not interpreted. one copy in
memory for all the connections using it, apartment threaded. On
our Eufrates elearning system he tested it with 1000
simultaneous connections on a one hundred megahertz 64MB NT 4
server.

One of the servers he wrote in VB is to serve 3270 and 5250
screens. I don't know if anyone really wants to write green
screen aps in VB though. It sure would be fun, I think.

It is the tools if the tool is doing a dump like that and it
isn't set to debug status to produce it. Sooner or later most
programs are going to have bugs. The first level bug was bad
enough, in that it apparently wasn't trapped. The second level
dump is, as somebody just pointed out, too much detail.

A web server from this guy, and os from that guy, a javaserver
from another guy, running on somebody else's machine. Mix and
match as if they are all exactly the same.

Pardon my ignorance, but you guys running websphere - is this
running on the internal pc server, the as/400 cpu under OS/400,
the as/400 cpu under linux?

If on the AS/400 cpu, do you load balance between the web
serving and your other aps, or do you dedicate an as/400 to the
web?

--
Brad Jensen brad@elstore.com
President

LaserVault Report Retrieval & Data Mining
www.Laservault.com

www.eufrates.com - Add distance learning to
your site with easy course preparation