THANKS Charles

RETURN ifnull(OUT_IPNNBR, IN_IPNNBR) did the trick
(I should have thought of it myself)

The compiler do not like the DECLARE OUT_IPNNBR CHAR(11) default(IN_IPNNBR)
statement.

The Function works great !
I may try to create a view (or index ?) so RPG programs can "enjoy" the
same functionality.

thanks again
Gad

date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 08:42:25 -0700
from: Charles Wilt <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Recursive SQL help needed

Another quick and easy fix
DECLARE OUT_IPNNBR CHAR(11) default(IN_IPNNBR);

Charles

On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 8:41?AM Charles Wilt <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx>