Hello Don,

Am 26.01.2024 um 00:02 schrieb Don Brown via MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I have a P01.

Wow, that's a nice gem! I was under the impression that 9406-Axx, and 9401-P01 were "internal/development" machines and not released to the public. That's why all early AS/400's at customer sites were Bxx: Second "marketable" generation.

I own a P02, in addition to the P03. In some OS screen panels this machine identifies as F04. Obvious differences to the P03 are mainly mechanical: A closed "tub beam" for the disks with the SCSI cable running underneath needs considerable pushing to make the plastic lids snap in. This "tub" is no longer closed in the P03, easing assembly. Some P03 boards sport more SIMM slots than the P02 which officially supports just 16MB. In fact it runs flawless with 24 (2 × 8MB + 8MB on board). The P02 has narrow SCSI instead of wide bus of the P03. Interestingly, the P02 seems to be disproportionately slower in disk accesses than the P03, so I guess the P02 has a much slower IOP, in addition to the half SCSI bus' width. Finally, the P02 is the only machine I know about that sports a true power switch, but in addition to the usual soft power on/off. In this case, the PSU keeps running, while only the logic boards of the machine are powered down.

I wonder what the P01's differences were, compared to the P02.

All in all, the construction of those is remarkably compact. There's absolutely no space wasted. And where it appears to be, this space is needed to shuffle things around for assembly/disassembly of the machine. I pity that there never was a PPC based "P04". At least I don't know about it. :-)

It was purchased for taking to trade shows and conferences to demonstrate our software.

It was excellent for that and ran all the licensed programs so any development was possible.

It was twinax and from memory would support one string of twinax devices, we used to have to terminals and a printer at a demo. (Sometimes left the printer behind, it was heavier than th

I see. Well, apparently another use case for those smallish machines.

Still sits in it's carry case under a desk in the office, albeit it has not been powered u in many a year and the only twinax terminal that remains is a bit dodgy.

I pity the neglected machine. ;-)

:wq! PoC