Progress: yesterday, our E4A started up just fine when I poked (no other word for it, given the structure of the front panel; I typically use the key for a piano keyboard lock) the start button

Then, less than a minute ago (as I typed that; a few minutes ago, as I click "Send"), I heard the fans burst into life from a scheduled power-up that I set yesterday before I powered it down.

That suggests that Friday, when I had the control panel in and out several times (and if you read anything into that, your mind is as filthy as mine), and the LCD went from showing apparent nonsense to showing first a C-series SRC, and then a normal indication, I unwittingly fixed some problem involving poor contact with the control panel.

At any rate, backups are automatically pushed to a pair of external SSDs on an old Mac Mini with an active FTP server, so the family jewels can be moved to another box, should the need arise, without having to do anything as drastic as the brain transplant I had to do when our V4R2 40S crapped out a few years ago.

--
JHHL