I think the slowdown is RPG record level access to a DDM file over a VPN. If I SQL the file, I get the records back in a few seconds. I try to write an SQLRPGLE program and use embedded SQL statements and I get an SQL0805 when I open the cursor. I change the program to SQL a local file and it works fine. Is there a reason why you can't access DDM files with embedded SQL in an RPG program?

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Jack Woehr via MIDRANGE-L
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2023 9:23 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jack Woehr <jwoehr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DDM over VPN

I'm sure someone knows more about this than I do, but sounds like it may be data getting encrypted/decrypted twice, one by ddm, once by VPN.

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023, 07:04 Bob Snuggs <bsnuggs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Has anyone ever done heavy DDM I/Os between 2 AS/400s connected by a VPN
over the general internet instead of using an MPLS connection? We're
trying to set this up and it takes 400 seconds to read 10,000 records
via DDM as opposed to 4 seconds between 2 on-prem AS/400s. I'm just
trying to figure out if this is normal or not. I don't see how it
could be. All other traffic doesn't appear to be an issue.