I'm a little confused. First of all, I don't know what it means to
edit a macro *in* a session. I don't see any macro editor. Maybe I
just have too old a version? (We use 1.1.8.8.)

Second, I am having trouble picturing why you would need to edit one
particular macro that you use for four different sessions. Would each
session not have its own? Or find a way to make use of parameters?

I think Jack's suggestion that maybe the macro is loaded only upon
opening a session is especially plausible given that it's set to fire
automatically on session startup.

When you make the changes in Session A, then save and close, what
happens if you open it again in Session A, without opening it in
Session B?

Finally, if you haven't already done so, I strongly suggest inspecting
the macro using a separate text editor, completely unrelated to ACS.
When it's open in B and you don't see the changes there, what does the
file look like in the outside text editor? And maybe make copies of
the file at various points in your experimentation, and compare those
snapshots.

I use ACS macros regularly, but I always edit them in a separate text editor.

John Y.