I believe the "system level" you are talking about is disk level
encryption. Which is basically useful if someone gets your drives and
tries to read the bit images directly from the disk without the benefit of
any OS, etc.
So I do not think that save/restore has anything to do with that. Unless
you configured the remote system to have disk level encryption the data at
rest will be unencrypted. Looks great for passing audits, hey my data at
rest is encrypted. But basically looks unencrypted via DSPPFM, etc. The
data is also encrypted, when using disk level encryption, while passing
through the wires between your system and your SAN storage. Since that's
normally fibre channel on special switches it's not like there's a plethora
of users using wireshark to see that data in motion. IBM clearly states:
<snip>
Disk encryption protects data from a number of different threats:
Protects data transmission to and from the disk drive (important in a SAN
environment).
Protects data transmission in the cross site mirroring environment (only
when the data being mirrored is on an encrypted independent disk pool).
Protects data in the case of theft of the disk drive.
</snip>
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/i/7.5?topic=management-disk-encryption
So, except for the case of a theft of a disk drive, I'm guessing that the
only use of system level encryption in a shop using internal disk is
justifying more processor power for your system. Well, that, and that
audit checkbox that says my data at rest is encrypted.