If the WHERE clause specifies the key > 'pet', are you saying that a FETCH PREVIOUS will get the record prior to the one with a key of 'pet'?

If not, then you're saying you have to expand the result set to include record prior to 'pet'.  If that's true, then how do you position the SQL cursor to fetch the 'pet' record after opening the cursor?