Also - to add to PoC's argument, it's not just hobbyist machines, but also dev/test/training.

I'm currently at a very large i shop that is struggling big time with finding fresh meat to maintain/develop for our infrastructure here. We are currently considering moving from a leased model to a purchasing model for our POWER systems so we can trickle through the hardware from PROD to DEV/TEST to TRAINING.

For DEV/TEST the cloud argument is very valid, but for TRAINING it's not. If we want to train a new generation of sysp's fresh out of school, we need to be able to give them hands-on time with a machine, give them the opportunity to break an install and then sit through the process of rebuilding it all etc. This is not something we can do with cloud instances, and doing this with the obsolete models means we can do this fully separate from PROD/TEST/DEV, so if someone accidentally manages to destroy the vgroup that contains the partition data on VIOS, it will just be a teaching moment.

For these sorts of use cases, P8s (or even P7s) are still very valid, and the newer features can be taught on the new machines as soon as they get their footing, similar as to how you learn how to drive on a clunker.

On top of this, there is very little effort required to keep issuing *PERM keys, e.g. as a PRPQ.

Also - for the argument that other vendors do this, this is not necessarily what other vendors do. It's common for those so-called other vendors to give you a perpetual fallback license, either at the end of the service life or at the end of your subscription, so the hardware and software version you currently have will keep on working, but with no guarantees. If you decide to renew (or resubscribe), they charge an additional 'reconnection' fee or reset the loyalty discount that they give you.

On 04/09/2023, 09:07, "MIDRANGE-L on behalf of Patrik Schindler" <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of poc@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:poc@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hello Larry,