Our original internal domain name is dekko-1. While that met specs it just
isn't cutting it anymore. One, many things go nuts with a dash in the
domain name. Two, getting a cert from a trusted authority for that is
difficult.
Our PC domain name is still dekko-1. Our CA has a wildcard cert for us for
dekko.com an we've been rolling that out pretty well for internal/external
sites.
I changed one lpar
CFGTCP,
12. Change TCP/IP domain information
Domain name . . . . . . . . . . DMNNAME
from dekko-1 to dekko.com and it didn't seem to have any adverse effect
with IFS shares, etc. Even after I bounced TCP.

When/what will be adversely affected by this change?

One thing I'm noticing is that, on another lpar, it has a different domain
name, corp.dekko.com. This was a short lived fad. But after I assigned a
ssl cert for the same wildcard *.dekko.com I'm having no issues with secure
telnet. Back when we were using corp.dekko.com for other stuff we would
have to get that it's own wildcard. TPTB decreed we were no longer ordering
that wildcard. We've been able to roll pretty well with that decision.

Again, where does it care what this domain is?