The folks who authored the SEQUEL product have a utility that produces a file named SQDATE. It contains a boatload of useful fields associated with the dates in the file.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of John Yeung
Sent: Tuesday, August 8, 2023 12:49 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Getting last Friday's date

On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 8:17 AM Greg Wilburn <gwilburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I use a table from IBM called DATE_CONV for a lot of my date converting (JOIN is faster than converting). I think this was included with web query in QWQCENT library.

I'm a fan of having a date conversion table. I built my own, and it's a fun and easy thing to do. One benefit to building your own is that you can put whatever fields you want in it. It could be useful to have Excel dates, month names, even phases of the moon. The limit is your imagination.

I strongly recommend using date functions provided for you (such as in RPG or SQL) as the foundation from which to build. If you don't, at least make sure you understand leap years. This is a classic thing that trips many people up. Years that end in two zeros are NOT leap years, UNLESS the whole year is divisible by 400.

So 1900, 2100, 2200, and 2300 are not leap years, but 2000 and 2400 are.

John Y.