The query optimizer analyses your query and then decides if an access path
and which access path is used.
If and which access path is used depends on the following criteria:
1. Join Fields/Columns (if multiple tables are joined)
2. Where Conditions with Equal, In and other where conditions with other
comparison operators. BTW it is even possible that for the same query
multiple access paths on the same table are used.
3. Group By
4. WHERE conditions

In either way if you only want to have 10 rows from 200 millions in a
specific sequence, the table is NOT!!! (re)sorted.
The data is selected and finally sort.
The optimizer can even return the data first in a different sequence and
then sort the result.

If you want to have your 200 millions of records sorted in a specific way,
you should create an index in the predefined sequence.
And even if a table scan must be performed, the table itself is NOT
(re)sorted.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)
and keeping them!"
?Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they
don't want to.? (Richard Branson)