On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 6:09 PM Don Brown <DBrown@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jack, I'm not a savvy Linux user but what os Cygwin going to do for me ?

Gives you Redhat-like Unix env on your Windows box, terminal programs, ssh,
scp, Xserver, bash, perl, python, gcc, hundreds of other programs
optionally added via a user-friendly download mechanism.

You don't need the goofy Windows GUI tools to manage those portions of your
IBM i that are ssh-able and scp-able. It's all command line if you want it.

On Linux and Mac I regularly mount multiple remote IBM i IFSes as local
dirs and edit files directly. jEdit (google it) knows EBCDIC and other
charsets.

All the support is there in IBM i already in conjunction with platforms
that support SSHFS (Google it).

Integration of IBM i with the programmer/sysadmin desktop workstation is a
lot more complete than most Windows users sometimes realize.

The open source nerds who use this sorta stuff all the time hang out on
Ryver IBMiOSS forum. Self-enroll at
https://ibmioss.ryver.com/application/signup/members/9tJsXDG7_iSSi1Q

Enjoy! IBM i gets easier to use all the time.