Before we had the DD VTL's we used a 3576 at each location. And our HA DC
was only 17 miles from our primary DC.
Physical tapes had several serious issues:
- Serious manpower handling them, preparing them for shipment, etc
- Cost of Iron Mountain to store, retrieve, etc
- Iron Mountain once delivered one of our unencrypted tapes to the wrong
building in our complex. Unrelated company. Took 2 days to find this
tape. And it was the only time we ever did a "rush" job!
- To do quarterly backups it required refresher training to others
assisting with the process.
- Travel to the DC to physically handle stuff

We use BRMS. We have when we used the 3576's and we still do with the
DD2500's.

Our remote DC is still where we run our daily backups. No worries about
physical tapes, etc.
We were concerned when we first got rid of our 3576's. "What if we need
to send a tape to IBM?" and other like concerns. We even ordered a 3573
"just in case". It's been over a year and it never got installed. I put
it back in the box this week and one of these years we're shipping it out
for resale.
In that time I have had to send in dumps, etc to IBM and was never asked
for a tape.