On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 12:09 PM, Jim Oberholtzer <
midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The whole discussion of "native or not" is really missing the point of the
original post.

Please accept my apologies for objecting to the title of this discussion.
My comments would have been quite different if the title had been something
like "Porting .Net Core to PASE", which I think would be an interesting
discussion.

What I'm interested in is simple, provide developers with the best of breed
development environments so they chose the IBM i /POWER combination to
develop applications.

Sounds reasonable, and quite a bit in alignment with IBM's apparent
strategy for the platform. IBM is obviously making the porting of
open-source language environments to PASE a priority.

Microsoft has created one of the best of breed
development environments and there are a massive number of developers using
it. If we can get them interested in using the server/database combination
it's good for everyone. That can not happen unless a port over to the IBM
/POWER platform is accomplished.

I agree with your point about Microsoft having a best-of-breed development
environment. I might even suggest that it is the most comprehensive and
cohesive IDE in existence. That alone may justify a port of .Net Core to
PASE.

On the flip side, it concerns me whenever Microsoft gains even one inch of
territory in the IBM i space. I view Microsoft as an IBM i killer. I
advocate for replacing Microsoft technology and applications with IBM i and
native applications.

While Microsoft has a great IDE. To me, development environments take a
back seat to run-time environments. I would hate losing the IBM i native
virtual machine run-time environment, by promoting a Microsoft IDE.

Porting .Net Core might be a balancing act. If Help Systems or an
open-source consortium were to do it, that might be more palatable to me
than if IBM were to jump onto the bandwagon.