Perhaps there really are reasons some of the newer ciphers will not work
on 7.1. For example

This is just a total off the wall WAG:
http://www.itjungle.com/fhs/fhs050614-story01.html
- Support for the Vector Scalar eXtension (VSX) capability in Power8,
which provides support for IEEE-conforming vector and scalar binary
floating point operations

This may be an important factor in 7.2's capability:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzain/rzainwhatnew.htm
The ability to configure multiple certificates for a secure environment
was added. Multiple Certificate Selection allows a secure environment to
enable Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm (ECDSA) certificates
while still allowing RSA certificates.

Granted, I'm still at that level where I confuse certificates and ciphers
and exactly what is related and what is not.