No, I don't believe so. I think you misunderstanding the purpose of the
pre-start job.

It goes back to when IBM first started supporting Client/Server type
applications.

You would enter a user id and password (or a program would) and then you
would sit and sit for what seemed like an enternity until finally you got
connected and heaven help you if you had to log on again and again.

What all that time was the AS/400 creating a job. A very slow and expensive
process.

So IBM created pre-start jobs. Basically all that IBM is doing starting up
a certain number of jobs that simply sit and wait for work.

They never actually do anything unless you use spawn. They only exist so
that processing can start quickly.

The only way that you can use a pre-start job is use spawn.

This is what the pre-start job entry looks like in my subsystem.

Subsystem description: IISUB Status: INACTIVE

Program . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : QP0ZSPWP
Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : QSYS
User profile . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : IIUSER
Job . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : IISCKW
Job description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : IIJOBD
Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : DEVIILIB
Start jobs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *YES
Initial number of jobs . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 3
Threshold . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 2
Additional number of jobs . . . . . . . . . . . : 2
Maximum number of jobs . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NOMAX
Maximum number of uses . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 200
Wait for job . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *YES
Pool identifier . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 1

Note the QP0ZSPWP program. This is the program you must use if you want a
pre-start job, no threads allowed. There is a different program with thread
support.

The point being you must use one of two program names supplied by IBM. You
cannot just put the name of a program you want to run.

So you start your subsystem, it starts the number of jobs you requested and
they sleep until you issue a spawn which grabs one of the them and all
calls the program you requested.

Each time it finishes processing, everything is dumped and the job returns
to a empty job state. If you specify one for number of uses, the job is
destroyed and another one created every time.

This is my understanding of the process. As far as I know, you cannot run
anything except the program IBM supplies to use pre-start jobs. .

If you want a job that processes on startup, you would use a Auto-Start job
entry in the subsystem.

Actually, there would not be much reason to not have a auto job. How would
you run spawn without something to run it?

Hopefully I am not misunderstanding your response.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Mark Murphy/STAR BASE Consulting Inc. <