2. SSH won't start, or I can't tell if it is.

You *might* be able to use syslogd to debug ssh startup issues:
http://bit.ly/ibmi-syslogd-debug

Otherwise you can also start it on a different port with debug turned on:

% which sshd
/usr/sbin/sshd
% /usr/sbin/sshd -p 5000 -D -d -e
debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_6.9, OpenSSL 1.0.2h 3 May 2016
debug1: private host key #0: ssh-rsa SHA256:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
debug1: private host key #1: ssh-dss SHA256:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
debug1: private host key #2: ecdsa-sha2-nistp256
SHA256:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
debug1: private host key #3: ssh-ed25519 SHA256:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
debug1: setgroups() failed: Not owner
debug1: rexec_argv[0]='/usr/sbin/sshd'
debug1: rexec_argv[1]='-p'
debug1: rexec_argv[2]='5000'
debug1: rexec_argv[3]='-D'
debug1: rexec_argv[4]='-d'
debug1: rexec_argv[5]='-e'
debug1: sshd QWTCHGJB: rc=0 avail=0 msgid=
debug1: Bind to port 5000 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 5000.
debug1: Bind to port 5000 on ::.
Server listening on :: port 5000.

Aaron Bartell
litmis.com - Services for open source on IBM i