We use SQL Views extensively because they seem to be the best way to
externalize and encapsulate SQL Select statements. They make program code
more readable and maintainable. We prefer creating simple "views" of
"views" of "views" as opposed to elongated and hard-to-read CTE's.

Prior to investing in "views" we did quite a bit of performance assessment
and bench-marking and found them to provide exceptional performance. We
haven't noticed performance degradation.

However, the vast majority of our SQL interfaces use SQL CLI and "server
mode" as opposed to SQL being embedded in HLL programs and SQL stored
procedures. Performance problems seem likely if you never provide a way for
applications to release resources after acquiring them. The SQE of course
requires a lot of resources.

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Winchester Terry <