On 2/23/2016 9:56 AM, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
IBM backed away from changing the contents of CURRENT CLIENT_WRKSTNNAME to
actually display the workstation name. They say you can get that via
other means and they have some other value they want to display and figure
it would be easier for the coders to just hijack this special register
than to create a new one representative of the value they are trying to
retrieve.
My last update to the pmr was that if they don't make the coding change
then they should update all language versions of the Knowledge Center to
reflect this information. That has often backed coders into a corner.
Hey, we'd all rather code than document.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/db2/rbafzcurclws.htm?lang=en
I added a comment this effect at that site.

Apparently on the other flavours of DB2, CLIENT_WRKSTNNAME really means
the weird thing /our/ DB2 developers intend to emulate.

'DB2 Version 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
client_wrkstnname - Client workstation name monitor element
Identifies the client's system or workstation (for example CICS®
EITERMID), if the sqleseti API was issued in this connection. The
current value of the CLIENT_WRKSTNNAME special register for this
connection, unit of work, or activity.'

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEPGG_9.7.0/com.ibm.db2.luw.admin.mon.doc/doc/r0055513.html

What's 'wrong' about our documentation is that it omits 'client's system'

'The CURRENT CLIENT_WRKSTNNAME special register specifies a VARCHAR(255)
value that contains the value of the workstation name from the client
information specified for the current connection.'

should be changed to read

'The CURRENT CLIENT_WRKSTNNAME special register specifies a VARCHAR(255)
value that contains the value of the _client's system_ or workstation
name from the client information specified for the current connection.'

I can see why the DB2 for i team are unwilling to change the returned
value, but what a weird name that the LUW team gave this.