IBM i 7.2 will be the last release to support Java 6.
From a publicly available site:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%20i%20Technology%20Updates/page/Java%20products%20and%20options%20on%20IBM%20i
This has HUGE implications.
Many vendors like to code to the lowest Java release supported on the
current release so they can continue to support those running on
unsupported versions of the OS.
While some of the releases may not have newer versions of Java shipped to
them on media it is often possible for them to order a newer release from
ESS.
Personally, I would go with Java 8. That's supported on 7.1 on. Why go
with only Java 7 when that would be the lowest supported on iNext and most
likely to be the first dropped in some future release?
No version of Java that works with V5R4 or 6.1 will work after 7.2.

Strongly suggest you look at the software requirements of your software
packages and ask your vendors how they plan to address this.
You may have to ask for updates to their documentation. I am working with
one vendor whose documentation is so old they claim to still require Java
5 although I have them running on IBM i 7.2 with Java 6.

Here is an ESS sample for 7.1:
5770-SS1 hide/show IBM i 21489
Release Download Package Size(MB)
07.01.00 hide/show 5817: i7.1 B_GROUP1 15296
v07.01.00,ENU,DVD
Developer Kit for Java 7.0 32bit 126
Developer Kit for Java 7.0 64bit 149
Developer Kit for Java 8 32bit 159
Developer Kit for Java 8 64bit 182

You may want to ensure that your systems have Java 7 and 8 loaded.
Do NOT rely upon "Media Labels and their Contents" from Knowledge Center.
Again, some of these newer versions of Java came out after that media was
spun and you need to download them from ESS. After loading on a newer
version of Java you need to reapply the Java Group PTF.

Java 6 is limiting development, and, it has a lot of CVE's (known security
holes) published against it. IBM does a fair job patching these holes
with PTF's.