Vern,
The idea is to use a view and not the physical. If the physical is altered, the view isn't broken.
Many people believe this is the best way to go.
Yours truly,
Glenn Gundermannglenn.gundermann@xxxxxxxxx (416) 317-3144-------- Original message --------From: Vernon Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Date: 2016-02-06 4:24 PM (GMT-05:00) To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: Select * into an external DS, and then adding columns
I am not sure of Dieter's context here - but the recommendation never to
use a PF in a select statement goes completely against IBM's strong
recommendation to almost always do that - the optimizer will always go
back to the PF, anyhow, then find candidate indexes with which to run
the query. So specifying a PF cuts out some processing time.

Now there can be exceptions - one is using select/omit logicals that
match the selectivity in a WHERE clause. Things may have changed around
that landscape with the ability to create sparse indexes now, which are
like S/O LFs in a way.

Cheers
Vern