Here is some documentation that talks about switching with the HMC.
Section 5.4

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%20i%20Technology%20Updates/page/IBM%20i%20Virtualization%20and%20Open%20Storage

Kris Whitney
IBM i I/O, Storage, and Virtualization Architecture
PowerVC for IBM i
(507) 253-0656, t/l 553-0656
Internet: whitneyk@xxxxxxxxxx

message: 5
date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 10:43:50 -0600
from: "Kevin Bucknum" <Kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Moving a DVD drive owned by VIOS

On our box we have the adapter owned by vios and exposed as a virtual
adapter. To move it I just have to vary it off on the partition that has
it currently, disconnect it in the HMC, add it to the partition it needs
to be in, and then vary it on. It's been years since I set it up, so
don't remember the exact steps, but we have the CD drive and a tape drive
set up that way, and it takes about a minute to move them between our two
LPARs

Kevin Bucknum
Senior Programmer Analyst
MEDDATA/MEDTRON