I should probably look before I say this but maybe we should create a Wiki item on this.

There is no 'one size fits all' solution here. Sure FTP sends the fastest but as you and Rob mention it requires you do work beforehand with QSYS.LIB objects. Also it tells you bupkis for errors unless you read the output log which is not simple. Can use any userID and password though, but it gets placed in a plain text spot. Can connect WAAAY back in O/S version though for IFS stuff.

SAVRST* has the overhead of starting remote jobs AND it can ONLY push (not pull) AND it requires SNA but is easy to use in a program and monitoring for error is easy. Needs same user ID and password.

I was pleased with QFileSvr.400 performance which has NOT always been this good and the old 2G filesize limit is gone, but again it's not a QSYS.LIB solution. Straight up easy to use though and setup is minimal. Does require same USERID and PASSWORD on both systems but it can push or pull.

I wouldn't use NFS for this normally as there is too much setup involved but to make an entire directory tree available to another machine for programmatic reference this would be a good choice. And can anyone actually explain NFS Security. :-)

I wouldn't use QNTC between IBM i, ever.

Surprising how much slower cp was than CPY in some uses.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com