De: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
En nombre de rob@xxxxxxxxx

Enviado el: miércoles, 23 de diciembre de 2015 10:38 a.m.

Para: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion

Asunto: Re: upgrade to latest

"Simple" is in the mind of the beholder.  Those of us who do this on a somewhat
frequent basis differ from those who rarely do it.

You may want to contract with someone to do it for
you.  I've done 6 lpars this month.  Some people on this list would call that a
slow month.

What release are you upgrading to: 7.1 or 7.2?

If you are upgrading to 7.1 read the 7.1 Memo to Users.

If you are upgrading to 7.2 read BOTH the 7.1 Memo to
Users and the 7.2 Memo to Users.

Follow the steps in the Knowledge center for upgrading
your system very closely!

Check out links recommended in both the MTU and Knowledge
Center.

For example, you may read that a Power 6 can be upgraded
to 7.2.  This may be true but ours
couldn't because it had too many old cards, enclosures, etc that were
incompatible with 7.2.  You really have
to dig for these finer details.  We ended
up migrating to Power 8's first.

Always helps to check with vendor supplied software to
see if you have to go to a newer version before you can upgrade your OS.  For example, Domino is tightly bound to the
Java version on that OS and IBM has gotten into the habit of dropping the
lowest version of Java when they upgrade OS.

IBM sometimes comes out with new commands that may
conflict with old ones.

 RUNSQL is the one that
most people are familiar with.  But this
is covered in the MTU.

IBM sometimes comes out with new SQL keywords that may
conflict.  For example RID conflicted
with a column in a table in Infor.
Wasn't really a problem unless you recompiled the Infor program.  That simply involved wrapping their column
name with double quotes.

IBM Certified System Administrator - IBM i 6.1 Group
Dekko Dept 1600 Mail to:  2505 Dekko
Drive

          Garrett,
IN 46738