From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sue Baker
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 7:40 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: S824 questions

"Steinmetz, Paul"
<PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on
Mon, 30 Nov 2015 21:08:53 GMT:

1) With the EJ0P backplane, are the integrated Dual SAS adapters
automatically included or optional?

EJ0P is a separately priced feature.

a) If optional-what controls 5771 SATA Slimline DVD-RAM
Drive?

If you do not get the EJ0P backplan, you get a zero-write cache SAS adapter for the CEC DASD and DVD. With the EJ0P, it controls both with the smarts to not use cache for the DVD.

b) If included, how does one use an optional PCIe3
12 GB Cache RAID SAS Adapter Quad-port to control
HHD/SSD drives in CEC?

The EJ0L feature cannot control the CEC devices. It can only have EXP24S disk enclosures attached to it.

[skipping product marketing and pricing questions]

4) What is the difference between
EJ0L - PCIe3 12 GB Cache RAID SAS Adapter Quad-port 6gb
x8
EJ14 -PCIe3 12 GB Cache RAID PLUS SAS Adapter Quad-port
6gb x8

Feature EJ14 is not listed in the sales manual pages for the
S824. This is not a valid feature.

5) I'm considering using SR-IOV (for Ethernet) , still very
new, any feedback pros / cons?

SR-IOV is great! We've been using it in our lab since the ESP
for it on POWER7+ systems started. We no longer order any
Ethernet adapters that are not SR-IOV capable.