Kevin,

Yes, use and create the data area in your save job QTEMP/Q1ADMEDPCY as per the document.

On our Production LPAR, we have one control group for all our daily full save, retention of 45 days.
Four times a month, we have the need to retain the save for 13 months.
Month end save is Perm.
We were successfully able to override the STRBKUBRM save for the different retentions, but not the AutoDup.
IBM DCR request created a data area for this purpose.
In my AJS BRMS save job, we set the data area, which then controls the AutoDup

50 CRTDTAARA DTAARA(QTEMP/Q1ADMEDPCY) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10) VALUE('CYCBR...
60 CHGOBJOWN OBJ(QTEMP/Q1ADMEDPCY) OBJTYPE(*DTAARA) NEWOWN(QBRMS)

How to Override the Auto Duplication To Media Policy for STRBKUBRM

The control group specified on the Start Backup using BRM (STRBKUBRM) command determines which media policy will be used during the backup. The Automatic duplication fields in the media policy determine whether media used for a backup will automatically be duplicated. The To media policy field for Automatic duplication is used to specify the media policy of the output volumes.

In releases IBM i 6.1 and later, to override the media policy that is specified in the Automatic duplication To media policy field when STRBKUBRM is run, do the following.

CRTDTAARA DTAARA(QTEMP/Q1ADMEDPCY) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10) VALUE(nnnnnnnnnn) QSYS/CHGOBJOWN OBJ(QTEMP/Q1ADMEDPCY) OBJTYPE(*DTAARA) NEWOWN(QBRMS)

Where nnnnnnnnnn is the media policy that will be used as the to media policy on the auto-duplication.

Note: In releases IBM i 7.1 and IBM i 6.1, the following PTFs or their superseding PTFs are required:

7.1 SI50292
6.1 SI50291

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%20Backup%2C%20Recovery%20and%20Media%20Services%20%28BRMS%29%20for%20i/page/How%20to%20Override%20the%20Auto%20Duplication%20To%20Media%20Policy%20for%20STRBKUBRM

Paul