On 7/29/2015 1:14 PM, Jim Oberholtzer wrote:

If you've listed everything correctly the MUST be a NWSD on CTL14 that is
capable of virtualizing the tape. That said, since you found the optical
already the tape must be virtualized by the same adapter as the optical.

That's what I would have thought.

Also I don't see any provision for Ethernet connections

Yeah, I omitted the Ethernet clients. Per the docs I set up two, both
pointing to VLAN1 (same as the Server). I was more focussed on loading
IBM i :-)

What you need on the HMC:
Host:
* At least one Ethernet on a VLAN that the host and virtual partition will
share
* A SCSI adapter to host the disk units (and potentially the virtual
tape/optical as well)
* A second SCSI adapter to virtualize only the optical/tape (optional if
the first adapter does it)

In the interest of simplifying, I deleted the second SCSI adapter since
just the one should be enough, and that one DOES find the DVD. I
started out with one Server / Client SCSI pair but had a passing thought
that this would be dedicated to virtualised DASD, so I created the
second pair, which seems unnecessary.

Hosted Virtual partition:
* An Ethernet adapter on the same VLAN as suggested above.
* A SCSI adapter that is connected to the Host adapter suggested above.
* A second SCSI adapter for the send host adapter as suggested above.

Deleted the second SCSI client.

It is also very highly recommended that you have AT LEAST 6 virtual storage
devices (NWSSTG) You can make them 50GB each to keep the size of the
partition lower if you don't need the space.

Attach the disk units to the first host SCSI adapter.

Deleted the 500G NWSSTG, created 10 50G and ADDNWSSTGL'd them before
varying the NWSD on. That points to CTL02; the original host SCSI
virtual adapter.

Now you need the NWSD controllers. One for each adapter on the Host. (I
think you figured out how to get the resource names)

WRKHDWRSC *CMN and look for the 290B.

Set the load source up for the first adapter, and the alternate for the
second adapter. (this may be the point of failure here)

Yep, both set to Slot 2 / Virtual I/O

It actually took almost as long to type all this as it would be to set it
up.

Sort of what I thought.
Current config:

Host
Server SCSI 3 Any Partition - WRKHDWRSC CTL02 - NWSD(DEV) 500GB Server SCSI

Guest
Client SCSI 2 BlueTwo(1) matched to partner slot 3

Guest Tagged I/O:
Load source: Slot 2 / Virtual I/O
Alternate restart: Slot 2 / Virtual I/O
Console: Slot 1 / Virtual I/O
Alternate console:
Operations console direct:

With I_BASE in the DVD, it comes up to DST, I can sign on to service
tools, I can look at the optical (OPT01, RMS01, OPT02) but there are no
tape drives. The drive is ready and has a SAVSYS tape loaded. It is
varied on at the host partition.

No VIOS; only the HMC, the working IBM i partition and this attempt at a
guest IBM i partition.