Isn't there some way to increase your journal options to show file opens
and closes also?
Start Journal Physical File (STRJRNPF)
Journal entries to be omitted . *NONE *NONE, *OPNCLO

The default is *NONE but many people tell it to omit Opens and Closes.
However, if you have that turned on,
and you do a plethora of single row inserts,
will you see a plethora of opens and closes? If so, are opens and closes
a performance impact? (other than the impact of writing the journal
entries :-)

No.

d x s 10i 0
/free
exec sql
Set Option
Naming = *Sys,
Commit = *None,
UsrPrf = *User,
DynUsrPrf = *User,
Datfmt = *iso;
// CloSqlCsr = *EndMod;
for x = 1 to 100;
exec sql
insert into jrntest values(:x);
EndFor;
*inlr=*on;

DSPJRN JRN(ROBDELME/QSQJRN)

There was a close immediately following the first insert, but after that
it stayed open.
Code Type Object
F OP JRNTEST
R PT JRNTEST
F CL JRNTEST
F OP JRNTEST
R PT JRNTEST
R PT JRNTEST
R PT JRNTEST
R PT JRNTEST
R PT JRNTEST
R PT JRNTEST
R PT JRNTEST
F OP JRNTEST
F CL JRNTEST

As you can see I was not using commitment control.
What is odd is that I have three opens and only two closes. No, there
were no closes in the (...) section.

Keep in mind that I did specify commit=*none on the options. (as shown
above)