"I think you've misread it. The setgid bit *is* a Unix/Linux thing.”

Fair enough - I see now that I misread the first part of Scott’s email. It does makes me wonder why supposed Unix/Linux experts failed to recognize what the value represented - and that apparently includes the developers of the Wordpress plugin that is signalling the problem. But that is a different matter.

I’m aware of it being an octal representation.

Turning it off would probably be safe enough and I may try it to see if that cures the problem we have with WP not being able to automatically update files. Just as an experiment we literally copied our entire setup to a Linux box and the auto update works there. On our system it fails because it determines that the temporary directory does not contain any files - it does.

Thanks to all for their help.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com