Hi All,

Unitil recently, virtually all of the IFS files on our machine accessed via Netserver were encoded in CCSID 1250, but we started to access and create source files (java and our own DSL language) encoded in CCSID 1208 (UTF-8).

At the moment, when a IFS file is created by Netserver on our system using for example Windows Explorer the CCSID attribute of the file is set to 1250. In case of UTF-8 files it means one has to change the CCSID attribute manually after the file is created, if the contents of the file are to be converted properly while displaying it using for example DSPF command.

I was wondering if it's possible to configure Netserver in a way that would not require change of CCSID attribute after creation of certain IFS files.

I did some documentation and net searching. I've found only one note on the following web page, that suggest that should be possible.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1017350

It says : "... When a file is created through NetServer, the CCSID of the file is the CCSID of the share or, if not provided, the CCSID of the server....". I am not quite sure what is meant by "CCSID of the share" in that text. I've been unable to find any other reference to that term.

Looking at the Netserver share configuration dialog in System i Navigator I asked my system admins to create a new Netserver share, that had the simple text conversion turned on and the CCSID set to 1208 - I was hoping that the CCSID that is set in the dialog is what was referred to as "CCSID of the share". I created a new IFS file using that new share but unfortunately it was created with CCSID attribute = 1250 - not 1208.

The CCSID configuration value at the Netserver server level I currently set to 0.

Does anybody have any experience with creating IFS files through Netserver with CCSID attributes of newly created files set differently per different Netserver share?
I would appreciate any hints on that subject.

Thanks,
Radek Pilski

Krajowy Depozyt Papierów Wartościowych Spółka Akcyjna z siedzibą w Warszawie (00-498) przy ulicy Książęcej 4, wpisana do rejestru przedsiębiorców prowadzonego przez Sąd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy, XII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego, pod nr KRS 0000081582, NIP 526-10-09-528, wysokość kapitału zakładowego i kapitału wpłaconego - 21.000.000 zł.

The Central Securities Depository of Poland (KDPW), registered office: Warsaw 00-498, 4 Ksiazeca Street, entered in the Company Register by the Warsaw District Court, 12th Commercial Division of the National Court Register, KRS Register no. 0000081582, VAT no. 526-10-09-528, share and paid-in capital PLN 21,000,000.