This is IBM's recommendation.

Sent from my iPad
I'm
On Feb 24, 2015, at 8:12 AM, Troy Hyde <troy.hyde@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Historically we did not require that the user name on the iSeries/IBM i match the network user name. That policy changed and we started to see similar problems as you describe for users where the user name is the same...never for those where the user names didn't match.

This led me to believe that the windows server would attempt to send the network password to the iSeries when the user names match, thinking (as Microsoft often does) that it knows what we want.

When users have this problem, there is one fix that I suggest that always solves the connection issue. At the "Windows Security" dialogue box where Windows is asking for a user name and password, I have them key the iSeries' system name\iSeries user ID in the user name so it is using the profile from the domain of the iSeries box rather than the user in the network domain. (So the user would be something like MYSYSTEM\THYDE.) They then key their password. As Darryl indicated, I have them key it all (including the password) in upper case.

I don't know if my premise is accurate, but the solution works.

Cheers,
Troy

-----Original Message----- From: Darryl Freinkel ; Darryl Freinkel
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 6:32 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Mapped drive on iSeries

I have had this problem and the solution was simple.

We kept the ibm_i password in the basic 10 character format.

After experiencing issues similar to these, I contacted IBM and the rule they gave me was the password when entered must be single case. It can be either all upper case or all lower case. Since implementing this rule, our problems went away.

Another solution is to implement single signon (sso). I have not been able to implement sso. The IBM documents make it difficult for a non windows engineers to map IBM terminology with windows AD terminology.

Darryl Freinkel

Sent from my iPad