There have been lots of answers, and I'll give a couple, some are variations on previous posts.
I'm not a fan of guessing that a 5 second delay solves the issue, but then I use it sometimes...
Variation 2 is simplest with no pgm changes
If original job = CALL ABC
If submitting = CALL XYZ

Var 1. if XYZ is a clp just add DLYJOB DLY(5) as 1st step
If XYZ not a clp, or you cannot modify XYZ then create CLLE XYZ1 with same parms as XYZ
PGM
DLYJOB DLY(5)
CALL XYZ
ENDPGM

Var 2. since you said this is thru AJS (I think someone said that)
Make XYZ it's own job and perhaps a different jobq, and make dependent upon ABC finishing. If you have parms this could be an issue that could be resolved with various places to store (data queue, data area, file, ) but that is pgm changes

Var 3. I do this something like this (if needed). Allocate *EXCL a dtaara in 1st pgm for 2nd pgm to check.
Program ABC
RTVOBJD OBJ(*LIBL/ABC) OBJTYPE(*PGM) RTNLIB(&RTNLIB)
CHKOBJ OBJ(&RTNLIB/ABC) OBJTYPE(*DTAARA)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF9800) EXEC(CRTDTAARA +
DTAARA(&RTNLIB/ABC) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(1) +
TEXT('alcobj if in use'))
ALCOBJ OBJ((&RTNLIB/ABC *DTAARA *EXCL))
/* whatever ABC does */
SBMJOB CMD(CALL PGM(XYZ)) JOB(XYZ)
ENDPGM

Program XYZ (or XYZ1)
$ALC: ALCOBJ OBJ((&RTNLIB/ABC *DTAARA *EXCL))
MONMSG MSGID(CPF1000) EXEC(DO)
DLYJOB DLY(2)
GOTO $ALC:
ENDDO
DLYJOB DLY(2) / just because dataarea not locked not mean all are freed */
/* whatever XYZ does */

Jim Franz