On 20-Oct-2014 08:44 -0500, Justin Taylor wrote:
IBM's suggestion is to either turn off the Mac specific function keys
or to use the pop-up keypad. Neither sound like good options to me,
but my single Mac user doesn't use the Mac function keys so that
wasn't an issue.

If the "turn off" is a actually reference to the simple *toggle* of the default for the capability the "fn" key provides, then I offer that I had made that change the first time I added and used a 5250 emulator on the Mac. And I have, pardon the cliché, _never looked back_.

That toggle is activated via a checkbox entitled "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys; When this option is selected, press the Fn key to use the _special features_ printed on each key." and located in the menu path "Apple\Cmd->System_Preferences->Keyboard".

The requirement forthwith and since to use the "fn" key to activate the Mac "special features" [their builtin overrides to the function keys], has never been a problem. In fact, I can honestly state that I was quite delighted that I no longer had to press the "fn" key to use the function keys F1-F12; I had been immediately frustrated that the F-keys that were so clearly labeled, did not function as seemed so clearly advertised. Given how rarely I activate the "special features" [described almost exclusively with icons and performing hardware vs software functions; e.g. adjust volume, contrast, etc.], the extra key-press since required to perform those hardware functions is not ever a bother.