So it seems to me there are two reasons for wanting to erase disk.

1) So that it is hard, perhaps nearly but not quite, impossible to obtain usable information from them. For example a distribution company may not want customer or inventory information made available. Writing all the disks even once via an install of the LIC essentially meets this goal. Even if you could get the data back it would cost an exorbitant amount and be prone to error. Possible? I suppose but at what cost? Much easier to follow the operator to the corner store after work and grab the nightly tapes from their Jeep.

The disks retain value on the used market.

2) So that it is impossible to get any data from these disks, ever. To be certain of this only destruction is acceptable. Fortunately this is simple. For all IBM i SCSI disks you pull them, lay them flat, and strike the top cover with a 2 lb hammer 'briskly'. The platters will shatter into thousands of shards instantly. Evidence is obtained by shaking them and listening to the satisfying tinkle inside.

The disks now have recycle value only. Some brass, some cast aluminum, a circuit board, and a wee bit of copper. The shiny bits are not recyclable. Pouring all those bits into a bucket and mixing them makes an already impossible task even more so.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com