It depends :)

I'd certainly push for having the Windows Servers in the same data center
as the IBM i.

If not, I'd want a direct VPN between them. Can that be done? Sure. Will
both data centers be willing to do it and how much will it cost are the
questions.

Same thing goes for the sales people's laptops. You say that currently "The
order gets sent from the laptop over the internet
to a Windows server in our office
​" Which to me means that the Windows server is in your DMZ and is
publically accessible ​with the right credentials. A data center should be
able to provide the same DMZ; though in my
experience
​ having a DMZ server at data center​ costs more than having
just private servers.

Now if your salespeople currently have to connect via VPN to your office
before they can send the order to your windows server; then your windows
server is private. There's no technical reason why the sales people
couldn't VPN direct to the data center without needing to go through your
office. Again it's a question of what the data center is willing to do and
for how much.

The data center might not be willing to allow the direct VPN given the
added complexity. Remember, unlike a VPN to your office where the remote
device usually has full access to the network in your build. A VPN direct
to the data center has to be carefully set up so that the remote devices
can only see your servers.

Charles

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Jeff Crosby <jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>