Hi guys,

IIRC:
1. If VARLEN (without length) is specified (or VARCHAR without ALLOCATE in
SQL) only the 16 Byte address of the overflow area is stored within the
record. The varying length data is completely stored within the overflow
area. When reading the data the overflow area must be found and searched and
finally the data returned, i.e. additional paging is required.
If VARLEN(length) or VARCHAR with ALLOCATE is used, the number of allocated
bytes is stored directly within the table/physical file. All data longer
than the allocated length are stored within the overflow area and only the
address of this overflow area can be found within the column.
2. For short varying length columns (30 Bytes ?) the varying length data is
always stored within the column independent whether an allocated length is
specified or not.
3. If ALLOCATE or VARLEN(Length) is specified either the address of the
overflow area or if the data is shorter than the allocated length, the data
is stored within the column.
4. If ALLOCATE or VARLEN(length) is specified the length should be set so
between 80 and 90% of all data can be stored directly within the column (and
only the exceptions are stored within the overflow area).
5. If the table also includes LOB (Large Object) columns. The VARCHAR and
LOB columns are all stored in the same auxiliary overflow storage area. This
may cause additional paging for locating and returning the VARCHAR data.
6. Varying length columns are, more efficient on the IBM i when there is a
need to provide for wildcard searching. That's because DB2 UDB for i will
stop searching the varying length data a wildcard string search encounters
blanks that indicate the end of available characters. With fixed-length
characters, DB2 UDB for iSeries must search to the very end of the string,
even if the string contains blanks.
7. Using varying length fields also speeds up concatenating data (compared
with fixed length data). The data length of the varying length data is
always stored within the 2 leading byte of a varying length field, a
"substring" may be performed and the data returned.
Also if the data is changed, only the new data is replaced and the length
revised, but the rest of the column is not padded with whatever character.
When concatenating fixed length fields, trailing blanks must be trimmed off,
i.e. the last not blank character must be found. The search starts from the
end of the character field.
If the data is changed, the rest of the column must be padded with blanks.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)
and keeping them!"