On 6/22/14 5:28 AM, Bruce Vining wrote:
I'm hesitant to answer your question as stated as I suspect there is some
context you're asking it in that I'm not aware of. So let me say instead:

Assuming that byte is implemented using the conventional eight bits, there
is no such thing as single-byte support for Chinese text (period).

That was what I had surmised, but I was hoping I'd been wrong. I'd been wrong about other languages requiring Unicode support, but I was also nearly certain that even the most rudimentary Chinese vocabulary required too many distinct glyphs to fit in an 8-bit code.

--
JHHL