Joel

I'd give a provisional "yes" - all CASE does is say which stuff goes into the final SQL statement - it is often used to change what the ORDER BY is that will be executed.

I think you can think of the stuff in the WHEN's as just character strings of which only one is used - perhaps on a row-by-row basis.

HTH
Vern