Re: how to increase field size without increasing the field size

fixed

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Wilson Jonathan
<piercing_male@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2014-04-27 at 07:28 -0400, Steve Richter wrote:

Was thinking I could create a 2nd file that has all the fields of the
order header but which expands the ponum field. So there are two
files: ORHEAD and ORHEADN. Then use triggers to mirror the contents
of the two files. So the files are always identical, except ORHEADN
contains the full PONUM and ORHEAD contains the first 15 chars of
PONUM.

But what would happen if the PONUM's first (or any) 15 characters could
be duplicated across many PONUM's where the additional characters made
the data unique?

that is a good point. In our case since the PONUM is assigned by the
customer there is a 2nd "PORLSNBR" field that handles duplicate PONUM
values. But yeah, that would negate my generic system level solution
of using triggers to create a parallel file.

In defense of my colleague who is reluctant to recompile all, there is
code that is 15 years old in the system. That predates him. No one
knows for sure if the source code on the system is the actual source
that was compiled to create the program. Would be nice if source was
always stored in the program object.

-Steve