I had a brainstorm last night and cannot believe I didn't do this years ago.

The message queue for all our printers is QSYSOPR. All the paper out,
change labels, etc, go there. Why don't I set up a message queue
specifically for these messages, say PRTMSGS. Someone can monitor this
queue and it takes the print messages out of QSYSOPR.

Does anyone else already do this? Is there a downside I'm not thinking of?
Years ago we had a printer at the far end of the office away from the
system operator and I had it's messages go to a users message queue without
issue. Never thought of a message queue dedicated to printer messages