is there a proper method to get next number in sequence?

fixed

Contracts are added to our database by going to a dataara and retrieving the next contract number.

This next contract number is used to add the new contract record. (contract number is primary unique key).

It is possible that contract numbers already exist sporadically, so somewhere in the logic the contract file must be checked for key existence.

Is it OK to find the next contract # during the contract add? I would think that this would be risky and it may be better to simply bump the data area by 1 and then wait and validate it is unique whenever the NEXT user tries to add a contact.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

This outbound email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Skyscan service.