Joel, I don't envy you this change. It would be a strain on me to keep up with IBM i and also concentrate on the new job.

Still, here are some ideas.

You can get free use of a machine at - it is at v5r3, so nothing really current now.

That is the new address for the rzkh free offering. There are various for-cost offerings at

The basic free offering gives you 50MB of disk - there is an expert offering for 60 euro annual with 250MB, and a developer offering with 1GB for 150 euro annual.

The fee-based offerings start at 199 euro for a 6.1 or 7.1 system with 4 libs and 1GB - other details at in the pricing list PDF there.

There are other fee-based offerings that have been mentioned in these lists - I think you could take a look at - contact them there for pricing details.

And if you could come up with a product idea for IBM i, you could always join partnerworld - then you'd have free access to a virtual loaner at the most recent release levels.

There are a couple IBM sites for modernization - they would be a pretty static thing, with guided tutorials and all - so maybe not much use.

You COULD attend webinars and labs offered by COMMON and others - of course, they are usually during the day, so they'd get in the way of your new job.