Actually I'm not saying that you have to make either a stored proc or LFs or views.

You do need to be sure that you tell Crystal to run the query on the server, not at the PC. Crystal at least used to, by default, run all queries on the PC, which means that the entire table had to be downloaded from the server, then the query is run against that "full" copy.

I like the idea of using a view - to limit the columns downloaded - and maybe the rows, due to selection. You will still benefit from making the query be run on the server, then downloading only the results. I think this is especially the case, because you will likely not want to make a view for each WHERE possibility - so if your Crystal report has parameters for selection, again, you need to run the query on the server - it's a setting somewhere in Crystal, last I saw, which is years ago!

HTH
Vern