Jon,

I use Gentran Server for iSeries, though not that particular doc; nor am I
familiar with the terms SOPI or SOI.

That being said, after taking a quick look at the 856 it looks pretty
straightforward to me. The loop ID for HL is 1000, it wouldn't be affected
by the fact the segments are nested. In the simplest scenario, you'd have
a single detail file with a loop ID of 1000.

Assuming your HL data is split among multiple files, you'd probably want to
make use of the sectioning functionality. AFAIK, each detail file would
still have a loop ID of 1000. In fact, Gentran's online help mentions 856
specifically:

Sectioning Explanation

Sectioning allows the user to break the Detail
portion of the document into smaller sections to
better use the mapping buffers when large volumes
of data are to be mapped.
ANSI 856 Advanced Shipment Notice. With
sectioning, each HL level could be represented by a
new area code and the buffer would be cleared more
often. The HL level for Shipment ('S') would be
set up at the 'D' area code. The HL level for
Order ('O') would be area '1' and the item
application shipment data to be read into the input
buffer and be mapped to the correct HL loop.

If you're current on maintenance, you might consider asking support for
help figuring out the map. (No guarantees...it's been I long time since
I've contacted them :)

And just in case you hadn't found it, here's the docs:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27023848#34

Feel free to PM me if you have to discuss further.

Charles