James,

If you are using the S/36 commands (BLDFILE and BLDINDEX), you will be somewhat limited. For example, the key on the PF must be contiguous. The key on an alternate index (aka LF) is limited to 3 keys. The field(s) will be generated by the system: F00001. If there is a key, that field will be named K00001. If there is more data after the key it will get named F00002, etc. (I think I have the correct number of zeros.)

There is no need for that, though. You can externally define the file and access internally, just as you would for a flat file.

You can certainly emulate the 36EE's logic when creating a file in DDS that would look like a 36EE file. But convenient? Not really.

By externally describing it, you can use SQL for native operations and internally define it in an RPG program.

-mark