Re: Biggest issue facing YOUR IBM i shop?

fixed

Joel Stone wrote:
Currently we run anything and EVERYTHING, a lot on the iseries.

That's a hard place to be in. Managing disparate technologies is perhaps the most difficult and costly challenge facing most IT organizations today.

In the next few years, the organization will be moving to a more single focused platform.

That makes sense to me. IT has become too complicated, costly, and convoluted.

There are only two choices that we know of for a large company: JDE or SAP.

What about VAI, Infor, and Harris Data? I'd suggest looking at VAI.

I asked if re-writing in RPG or COBOL was an option being
considered.  I knew it was a silly question, but it was received
like a suggestion to dump computers and go back to paper
and pencils.

IBM i is not the problem.  It's still the best business platform out there, and you can do modern things with it. RPG is not the problem, either. It's still the best business language; you can create web applications, along with batch an other relevant types of applications.

Management looks at this as being in the software business
- which they don't want to be.

That makes sense in most cases. I gather that doesn't help you. You must want to be in the software business. I do too.